It’s important to find out the exact cause of erectile dysfunction to initiate proper treatment. The symptoms itself provide some clues about the cause of erectile dysfunction. For example,
1. If the person is able to achieve good morning erection (an erection that is present when a person wakes up), the possibility of a medical disorder is low and the possibility of anxiety as a cause is high.
2. If the person is able to have good erections during masturbation, the possibility of a medical disorder is low and the possibility of anxiety as a cause is high.
Apart from symptoms, following investigations are done to find out the cause for erectile dysfunction:
1. Blood investigations to rule out disorders like diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia
2. Hormonal assays to identify abnormalities of sex hormones and thyroid hormones
3. Ultrasound to identify the blood flow pattern in the penis and presence of any blockages
Apart from the medical test, a detailed interview with patients often give clues about the problem. E.g. In a few patients, factors like the smell of vaginal fluids, distraction during the sexual intercourse, the stress of office work, the pressure of pregnancy, poor attitude of the partner, etc can be responsible for poor erections.
While assessing a patient with erectile dysfunction, care must be taken to give importance to individual factors involved. In most of the cases, both medical and psychological causes contribute to the development of erectile dysfunction